Welcome to The Hive
- User:Justina (pgp keys etc.)
Don't forget to visit our blog Mushroom.Global.
Change URL structure:
Directories "en" and "es" etc. can each be created on the web server with separate LocalSettings.php but the other files all symlinked from the base of a common wiki installation.
Probably not symlinks. I'm thinking that the whole directory structure needs to be replicated, with hard links for the files.
Needs more experimentation ...
- $IP = Intellectual Property ... no skins installed ... 500 error. Something's off.
- No, the problem is all that "absolute path" stuff ("__DIR__" etc.) in the php programs for MediaWiki, due to "highly secure coding practices" as mandated by non-profit foundation management. Some of those restrictions are beneficial and well-meant of course: your MediaWiki installation is less likely to get hacked, as some vandals on Wikipedia in the early days did roo the database through obscure SQL injections and other CVE-type vulnerabilities, but some of this stuff is too bureaucratic, and not as flexible for end use installation as it could be. PHP itself has a questionable reputation for security: a lot of it is little more than thin wrappers over C code, and like C it depends on secure coding practices. Still up for public domain scratch space.
- This is the family of wikis approach, which is probably the best.
- There is also a Translate extension that provides multilingual support in one wiki, which seems useful as a bridge to full support for a new wiki language.
This is not a HOWTO. Do not try this at home. Refer to official sources for instructions. Caveat: that is a wiki, too, and those are not precise instructions either, but general ideas with advantages and disadvantages.
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software.